Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Working out the preloaded text problem

As the semester comes near an end, my team and I are still trying to figure out a way to load currently playing tack information into the Gwibber window for our social extension project. The problem we are running into is that the Gwibber library has not exact method for inserting text into the Gtk window. The Gtk-sharp window consists of a insertText() method for an Gtk.Entry object but the relationship between the Gtk-sharp classes and classes used used in Gwibber do not have a direct inheritance relationship. I emailed Ken VanDine, the creator of the libgwibber library, about our problem and he said that the C# wrapper does not directly have a way of doing this. He said the best bet was to override the expose event under the library and try inserting the text there. He didn't go into much detail beyond what exactly the expose event did, but all I can imagine is that it has something to do with exposing content. I'm still not exactly sure how to go about inserting text into this method override. I was able to override a method called OnExposeEvent() and all that did was return a boolean value with the original OnExposeEvent() method being returned. I of course am not even sure that is the right method he was talking about. I'm going to email him tomorrow and see if he can give me any more information about this method and what it does exactly. If using the Gwibber window does not work out, then we have a plan for creating our own message window. Hopefully it does work out, because using the Gwibber entry window would save us a lot of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment